Cheap flights from Sydney to Melbourne
Flight information Sydney to Melbourne
cheapest return price from Sydney to Melbourne last month
airlines fly direct from Sydney to Melbourne
flights a week from Sydney to Melbourne
average flight time from Sydney to Melbourne, total distance 722 kilometres
was the most popular airline flying from Sydney to Melbourne last month
Melbourne Tullamarine, Melbourne Avalon and Melbourne Essendon
Which airlines fly from Sydney to Melbourne?
- Qantas, Virgin Australia, Jetstar and Tigerair fly directly from Sydney to Melbourne, and there are 70 flights offered daily.
- If you aren’t booking your flights to Melbourne in advance, read our guide on how to find the cheapest deals when booking last minute.
How easy is it to depart from Sydney Airport?
- Very easy. Sydney Airport offers passengers access to a large variety of destinations, and amenities. The airport has 3 terminals.
- Terminal 2 – Is the terminal assigned for Jetstar, Virgin Australia, and Tigerair.
- Terminal 3 – Is for passengers flying Qantas.
- T2 and T3 are equipped with shops, restaurants, ATMs, currency exchange, payphones, cash machines, and free WiFi.
- T2 and T3 have a walkway connecting them if you need to transfer.
- Terminal 1 is the international terminal and can be accessed by AirTrain or T-Bus for $6, or free for travellers flying with Qantas or Virgin.
- Arrive at this airport at least 1 hour before your flight is due to depart.
What do I need before I depart from Sydney Airport?
- A form of photo-ID is required for domestic air travel.
- Please be aware, that if you are not an Australian citizen or resident, you may need to carry your passport.
What information do I need to know when arriving in Melbourne?
- Although there are 3 airports in Melbourne, direct flights will fly into Melbourne Tullamarine Airport. This airport has 4 terminals.
- Terminal 1 – Qantas flights are directed to this terminal.
- Terminal 3 – Flights on Virgin Australia are directed here.
- Terminal 4 – Jetstar and Tigerair flights come into this terminal.
- Each terminal provides incoming passengers with ATMs, eateries, and shops. You can also connect to the free WiFi and approach information desks.
- All terminals can be walked to. For those with a disability, there are transfer services available through the airport authority.
- The average cost of a taxi into Melbourne’s city centre is around $60, and will take 30-40 minutes.
What is the weather like in Melbourne?
- Melbourne is slightly cooler than Sydney by 2-5°C and sees more rainfall, but both cities have a similar climate.
Is there a time difference between Sydney and Melbourne?
- No. Sydney and Melbourne are both in the same time zone.
Is Melbourne cheaper than Sydney?
- Melbourne is slightly cheaper than Sydney. The cost of dining and drinking are similar, however rent is cheaper in Melbourne.
- An average meal for 2 at a mid-range restaurant will cost around $80 in Melbourne.
- A cappuccino in Melbourne will cost around $3.90.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of June 2018
Good to know in Melbourne
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 15 days.