Cheap flights from Melbourne to Tokyo
Flight information Melbourne to Tokyo
cheapest return price from Melbourne to Tokyo last month
airlines fly direct from Melbourne to Tokyo
flights a week from Melbourne to Tokyo
average flight time from Melbourne to Tokyo, total distance 8192 kilometres
was the most popular airline flying from Melbourne to Tokyo last month
Tokyo Narita and Tokyo Haneda
Which airlines fly from Melbourne to Tokyo?
- Japan Airlines (JAL) and Qantas operate non-stop and daily flights to Tokyo from Melbourne. There are also connecting routes available via AirAsia X, Cathay Pacific, Virgin Australia, and ANA.
- If you are unsure when to book, check out our guide on how to look for cheap international flights.
How easy is it to depart from Melbourne?
Easy. The Melbourne Tullamarine Airport is a modern and comprehensive hub, with 4 terminals in total. It is 1 of 3 airports, but the only one that offers international flights to Japan.
- Terminal 2 – handles the international flights to Tokyo.
Terminal 2 has lots of amenities, with free WiFi, payphones, ATMs, currency exchange, restaurants, bars, fast-food kiosks, and duty-free shops. All the terminals are within walking distance of one another.
Recommended arrival time for checking in for an international flight is 2-3 hours.
What do I need before I depart from Melbourne?
- All international travel requires passengers to carry a valid passport.
What information do I need to know before arriving in Tokyo?
Tokyo has 2 major airports, both of which are international facilities. These are Tokyo Narita Airport and the Tokyo Haneda Airport, but only Tokyo Narita Airport sees direct flights from Melbourne. Both airports have 3 terminals.
- Tokyo Narita Airport – flights from Australia are directed to Terminal 2.
- Tokyo Haneda Airport – connecting flights are likely to be directed to Terminal 1 or Terminal 2.
Both of these airports have modern facilities, such as bureau de change services, ATMs, free WiFi, public telephones, restaurants, snack kiosks, and duty-free shops. Complimentary shuttle services handle transfers between terminals at Haneda, whilst the terminals at Narita are all connected.
Taxi fares from Tokyo Haneda Airport cost around 6000-8000JPY ($68-90) and take 30-40 minutes. From Tokyo Narita Airport, the fare is upwards of 22,000JPY ($250) and can take over an hour.
What is the weather like in Tokyo?
- Tokyo has distinct seasons, with warm summers at 30°C, cold winters that can dip to 0°C, and shoulder seasons between 10-20°C.
Is there a time difference between Melbourne and Tokyo?
- Tokyo is an hour behind Melbourne during Standard Time (ST), or 2 hours behind Melbourne during Daylight Savings Time (DST).
Is Tokyo cheaper than Melbourne?
Tokyo’s general consumer prices are more expensive than Melbourne, but living and dining costs are cheaper, which is a bonus for holidaymakers. Check out our budget guide to Tokyo if you want to save as much money as possible.
- Going out for a meal in Tokyo at a mid-range restaurant, will come to around 5500JPY ($62).
- Purchase a cappuccino in Tokyo for an approximately 380JPY ($4.30).
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of September 2017
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 15 days.