Flight search is easier on the app.
What can I do in Melbourne?
There’s so much to see and do in Melbourne, it’s no wonder it is called the Culture Capital of Australia. Tour the city centre for a chance at ducking into the Melbourne Museum, visiting the Planetarium, or see Captain Cook’s cottage in Fitzroy Gardens.
Explore Melbourne’s culinary reputation by spending an evening in Brunswick or Fitzroy, or enjoy the sandy beaches, trendy cafes, and live entertainment venues of St. Kilda—home to the famed Luna Park. Read Skyscanner’s guide to St. Kilda for a chance to learn more about this popular part of the city.
Sports fans should head to the MCG or the Rod Laver Arena, with the former hosting AFL tournaments, and the latter famed for the Australian Open Tennis matches. Whatever your interests, Melbourne will find a way to rise up to them.
What airlines fly to Melbourne?
- Virgin Australia, Air China, Qantas, Air New Zealand, Etihad Airways, Thai Airways, Emirates, Tigerair, Garuda Indonesia, Fiji Airways, Regional Express (REX) and many more airlines offer flights to Melbourne.
When is the best time to book?
- The best time to book flights to Melbourne is 13-19 weeks before you intend to fly. However, if you a booking a last minute getaway, check out our booking guide for helpful tips on how to save money.
What are the visa requirements?
- Australian passport holders do not need a visa. If you are not a resident or citizen, then we recommend that you visit the Australian Embassy website for information on entry requirements.
How long is the flight?
- Nonstop flights from Sydney, Adelaide, or Brisbane take about 1-3 hours. From Perth or Darwin, around 3-4 hours.
When is the best time to visit Melbourne?
- March to May is the best time to visit Melbourne, as there are lots of festivals on, and the daily average temperature is 10-20°
What are the average costs in Melbourne?
- Buying a cappuccino in Melbourne will cost $3.95.
- The currency is in Australian Dollars (AUD).
What airport will I arrive at?
- Melbourne has 3 airports, these are the Melbourne Tullamarine Airport, the Avalon Airport, and the Essendon Airport. But the airport you are most likely to fly into is the Melbourne Tullamarine Airport, which is the second busiest airport in Australia. This airport has 4 terminals, and the largest range of amenities, such as ATMs, information desks, restaurants and bars, shops, charging points, and free WiFi.
How to get from the airport to Melbourne?
- Buses and shuttle services connect all 3 airports to Melbourne’s city centre.
- A taxi from Melbourne Tullamarine to the city centre will cost you $60 and take 35 minutes. From Avalon Airport, the fare will cost $120 and take an hour. From Essendon Airport the fare will cost $45 and take 30 minutes.
Any useful tips?
- Tipping at restaurants is not required, but it is common to tip around 10%.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of September 2017