What can I do in Cairns?
The beautiful town of Cairns draws millions of vistors to its shores with its laidback yet lively spirit. It boasts easy access to two of Australia’s most vaunted natural attractions: the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest.
Within Cairns, visitors can shop, dine, and explore museums. Check out the Esplanade, duck into the trendy bars, or head to Palm Cove, where excellent restaurants line the shore.
Explore the Northern Beaches, the Daintree Forest and last but not least, the UNESCO rated Great Barrier Reef. It’s the largest in the world and simply cannot be missed.
What airlines fly to Cairns?
- Qantas, Jetstar, Regional Express, Virgin Australia, Air New Zealand, Cathay Pacific, China Southern and United all fly routes into Cairns.
When is the best time to book?
- If you are flying from the east coast, we recommend booking between 5-11 weeks, but from the west coast you should book as early as you can. For last minute flights, read our booking guide to save money on eleventh hour reservations.
What are the visa requirements?
- Australian travellers will not need a visa, but if you are not a resident or citizen, we recommend to go to the Australian Embassy website to see the current conditions for entry.
How long is the flight?
- Non-stop from the major cities on the east coast take 2-3 hours, from the west coast it takes around 4 hours.
When is the best time to visit Cairns?
- June-August in the winter is the best time to visit Cairns, when the days are usually 17-26°C and dry.
What are the average costs in Cairns?
- A regular cappuccino is about $4.30 in Cairns.
- The currency is in Australian Dollars (AUD)
What airport will I arrive at?
- The Cairns Airport is the main airport for Cairns. There are 2 terminals, and these are equipped with currency exchange points, ATMs, cafes, a bar, shops, and showers.
How to get from the airports to central Cairns?
- Shuttle services are available to Cairns and up to the Northern Beaches.
- Taxis to central Cairns will run to approximately $25-30.
Any useful tips?
- Check with the locals regarding swimming in the sea, especially in summer, when there are often seasonal jellyfish and stingers. Swim in life-guarded areas.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of June 2019
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Cairns
Frequently asked questions
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.