Cheap Flights to Papua New Guinea
Flights to Papua New Guinea
Papua New Guinea is one of the few places in the world where you can travel, and feel totally divorced from the stresses and pulls of modern life. Occupying the eastern reaches of the New Guinea Island, this country is home to over 800 languages, and many fascinating tribal cultures. Delve into this Papua New Guinea’s lush and diverse landscapes, and its bustling cities and towns, and you will discover a travelling experience unlike any other.
Things to do in Papua New Guinea
You will undoubtedly land in Port Moresby, and as the city is your first port of call, it makes sense that you should spend some time exploring it. Visit the National Museum where you can learn about the country and the people, stop by Parliament House, and then take advantage of the good weather by strolling through the city’s lovely Botanical Gardens.
Then from Port Moresby, if you’re feeling adventurous, you should set out on the famous Kokoda Trail, notorious for its part in World War 2, where Australian and Japanese forces met and fought over this tough terrain.
Then if you can, book a tour that can take you along part of the Sepik River that winds through hidden villages, where the extraordinary indigenous tribes of Papua New Guinea live.
Then go to the open fjords of Tufi, a coastal city that boasts remarkable gorges on its eastern shores, and corals beneath the waters lapping at its beaches. Or book a trip to the Tami Islands, where you can indulge in the perfect beach paradise of your dreams, with white sands, sapphire waters, and emerald palm trees that make up the scenery of so many exotic postcards, you will find nothing to complain of here.
Best time to visit Papua New Guinea
· From May right through to October, you are in with the best chance to get dry and temperate weather averaging 26-28°C, and this is the loveliest time to see Papua New Guinea.
· Don’t visit from December until March, unless you love tropical downpours.
Flights to Papua New Guinea
· The Jacksons International Airport (POM) in Port Moresby is the largest international facility in Papua New Guinea, though you can also find flights into the Rabaul Airport (RAB), also known as the Tokua Airport.
· There are non-stop flights from Sydney (SYD) Cairns (CNS) and Brisbane (BNE) into Port Moresby’s international Airport (POM). You can also fly directly into Rabaul/Tokua Airport (RAB) from Cairns (CNS) if you wish. Other cities will be subject to layovers either in the aforementioned Australian cities, or via Manila (MNL).
· Air Niugini is the flag carrying airline for Papua New Guinea, and tends to cover most of the routes to this nation, but you can also find flights to this country with Qantas and Virgin Australia.
· Papua New Guinean Kina (PGK).
· Visas are required to enter Papua New Guinea, though Australian travellers are eligible to apply for an on-arrival tourist visa at either the Jacksons International Airport (POM) or the Tokua/Rabaul International Airport (RAB). For further details and instructions, please go to the Papua New Guinea page on the Smart Traveller website.
Please note that information is correct as of December 2016
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.