Cheap flights to South Africa
Flights to South Africa
What can I do in South Africa?
Travel to Cape Town and catch a cable car to the top of Table Mountain, then hit up the fantastic city beaches. Or fly to Johannesburg, and get a sense of suburban South Africa by visiting Soweto, and then learn about the country’s history at the Apartheid Museum.
Go on safari at the Kruger National Park for a chance at spotting the Big Five, rhino, leopard, elephant, lion, and buffalo. Or trek the Drakensberg, the stunning Dragon Mountains, and don’t forget to bring your camera! South Africa is one of the most affordable destinations for Australian travellers, which makes this an excellent country to explore.
What airlines fly to South Africa?
- Qantas, Etihad Airways, South African Airways, Virgin Australia, and Qatar Airways all operate flights to South Africa from Australia.
When is the best time to book?
- Flights to South Africa should be booked 6 months in advance for the cheapest fares. Otherwise, read our tips on booking last minute flights.
What are the visa requirements?
- Australian passport holder can enter South Africa for up to 90 days without a visa. For the latest information, please visit the Smart Traveller portal, and their page on South Africa.
How long is the flight to South Africa?
- Adelaide to South Africa – 18 hours
- Brisbane to South Africa – 19-20 hours
- Melbourne to South Africa – 17 hours
- Perth to South Africa – 11 hours
- Sydney to South Africa – 14 hours
When is the best time to visit South Africa?
- For beach weather January to April is the best time to visit, for safari parks May to September.
What are the average costs in South Africa?
- A cappuccino in South Africa typically costs 24ZAR ($2.23).
- The currency is in South African Rand (ZAR).
What airport will I arrive at?
- Johannesburg Airport (JNB), also known as the O.R. Tambo International Airport, is the premier hub for international flights into South Africa. This airport has free WiFi, numerous restaurants, duty-free shopping, a post office, mobile phone hire, ATMs, and bureau de change services.
How to get from the airport to town?
- Buses, shuttles and trains all run services into central Johannesburg.
- A taxi into central Johannesburg is roughly 500ZAR ($46).
Any useful tips?
- Make sure you don’t carry too much cash on you when shopping.
- Generally, it is recommended to carry a mobile phone with you, and you can hire one of these at the airport on arrival.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of October 2017
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.