Cheap flights to Sri Lanka
Flights to Sri Lanka
What can I do in Sri Lanka?
Visit Sri Lanka’s capital Colombo, and see the colonial architecture that line the streets, like the Old City Hall. Don’t forget to duck into the National Museum, or the serene temple of Gangarama Vihara. Then explore the country’s most popular beach resorts, like Kosgoda and Bentota.
Away from the coast, in central Sri Lanka, you will find the city of Kandy and nearby, many of Sri Lanka’s most important sites, such as the UNESCO protected Sacred Temple of the Tooth, and the Ancient City of Sigiriy. Go on treks and safaris through Sri Lanka’s National Parks from Bundala, to Udawalawe and Yala. Read more about all the things you can do in this country by reading our off-the beaten track guide to Sri Lanka.
What airlines fly to Sri Lanka?
- The major airline carriers that fly to Sri Lanka from Australia are Qantas, Emirates, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Airways, Qatar Airways, Korean Air, Air China, Air India and Japan Airlines.
When is the best time to book?
- Between 4-6 months in advance is the prime time to look for flights to Sri Lanka.
What are the visa requirements?
- Australians are eligible for the Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) visa, an electronically issued 30 day visa. For more information, visit the official Sri Lankan ETA website or go to the Smart Traveller page on Sri Lanka.
How long is the flight to Sri Lanka?
- Adelaide to Sri Lanka – 14 hours
- Brisbane to Sri Lanka – 13 hours
- Melbourne to Sri Lanka – 11 hours
- Perth to Sri Lanka – 11 hours
- Sydney to Sri Lanka – 13 hours
When is the best time to visit Sri Lanka?
- For beach weather in the south, aim for booking between December and March. For good weather around the whole of the country, September-November are the most reliable months.
What are the average costs in Sri Lanka?
- A cappuccino in Sri Lanka costs approximately 440LKR ($3.75).
- The currency is in Sri Lankan Rupee (LKR).
What airport will I arrive at?
- The major international hub of Sri Lanka is the Colombo Bandaranaike International Airport. This airport has amenities like ATMs, telephones, restaurants, and shops.
How to get from the airport to town?
- A taxi to central Colombo from the airport should cost about 2800LKR ($24).
- There are also shuttle and bus services that link travellers from the airport to Colombo.
Any useful tips?
- Getting around the country is cheaper if you take the trains; just make sure you book in advance if you’re after the more comfortable first-class tickets.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of October 2017
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.