Cheap flights from Melbourne to Wellington
Flight information Melbourne to Wellington
Cheapest return price last month
Flights per week
Average flight time, total distance 2595 kilometres
Most popular airline last month
Air New Zealand
Direct flights from Melbourne to Wellington
Air New Zealand, Virgin Australia, Jetstar and Qantas offer non-stop flights to Wellington from Melbourne. Between the three carriers, flights are offered seven days a week, a few times a day.
Find the cheapest flights
If you don’t fly direct, there are a few airline combinations with Emirates, Jetstar and Qantas, and these will generally stop in Auckland (AKL) or Sydney (SYD).
The prices for these journeys are competitive, but to get the best possible deal, it’s worth signing up for our price alerts so we can notify you when the prices move up or down, so you know the best time to book.
Melbourne Tullamarine Airport (MEL) information
· Access to Tullamarine Airport is excellent, as all of the terminals are linked to transport, and you can also walk between all four of the terminals should you need to transfer.
· Generally, it only takes 20-40 minutes to get from central Melbourne to Tullamarine. A taxi will take you there for $55-65, the Skybus for $19 per person, and the shuttles run by Starbus and VHA for $18-25. There are public buses that head from the city to the airport for $4, but these can take up to 90 minutes.
· The facilities at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport are fairly extensive. You can find lots of different eating options, from fast food to juice bars, and sit-down restaurants. Souvenir shops and popular fashion brands have stores here, and there is even a pet hotel! Otherwise, MEL has all the standard services; cash machines, currency exchange and free WiFi.
· Wellington Airport (WLG) is also very well facilitated, with good eating options, and shops that include M.A.C. Cosmetics, Witchery, and JR Duty-free. You can access free WiFi throughout the airport, use the cash machines and change any Australian currency you may be holding.
· From Tullamarine, you will most likely fly from the International Terminal (2). In Wellington, there is only one major terminal, and all flights are directed here.
Time difference from Melbourne to Wellington
· Wellington is two hours ahead of Melbourne.
· Wellington is typically cooler and windier than Melbourne, except, oddly enough in winter, when the lowest temperatures in Wellington tend to be about 6°C. For the rest of the year, spring, summer and autumn, the weather is pretty pleasant, with averages of about 17-21°C.
Expect to pay
· Wellington is cheaper than Melbourne for many living costs, but a shade more expensive if you’re eating out.
· Grab a coffee in Wellington for about 4.50NZD ($4.20).
Transportation to city centre
· Take a taxi into central Wellington, and you’ll find the meter will come to around 20-30NZD ($18-28).
· Many opt to rent a car in New Zealand to explore its gorgeous surrounds, and you can cut down on the hassle of reserving a car at the airport by organising a rental in advance with our car hire search tool. If you aren’t planning on driving, but would like to be picked up when you arrive, you can also arrange an airport transfer through us, so the only thing you have to worry about is not spending all your holiday money in the duty-free shop!
Mode of payment
· New Zealand Dollar (NZD)
· Credit and debit cards are widely accepted in Wellington.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of May 2016
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.