Cheap Flights to Karratha, Australia (KTA)
Why visit Karratha?
The seaside town of Karatha on the northwestern Australian coast was built in the 1960s as a way place for working miners. Today, however, this thriving township is home to thousands of people, and welcomes many more through its gates each year, as travellers to Karratha hope to explore the Millstream-Chichester National Park, see the gorgeous shoreline, and delve into the history of the Jaburara people.
Things to do in Karratha
Karratha, meaning ‘good country’ in the indigenous language of the area, is a town encircled by hills covered in wild grasses and plants that hide creeks and rock pools, making it a wonderful place to hike and bike through. Within the town itself, visitors can take advantage of its shopping, restaurants and bars, and its healthy list of outdoor pursuits, such as golfing, bowls, and fishing.
Organise a trip to the Dampier Archipelago, and swim and snorkel around the spectacular islands there, then relax upon the white sand beaches that fringe its shores. It is here too that you will find the extraordinary Aboriginal rock art at Deep Gorge, where there are more than 10,000 artistic pieces carved and etched directly into the rock faces, and thought to be between 6000-20,000 years old.
If you want to really experience the wilderness of Australia and this state, then make your way out to the national parks Millstream-Chichester in the south, home to the Yindjibarndi people, with a landscape made up of gorges that surround the Fortescue River. Even further afield is the spectacular Karijini National Park, the second largest national park in the state, where you will find the rugged terrain makes way for waterfalls, plunge pools, and a variety of iconic Australian wildlife.
Best time to visit Karratha
· Because of how far north this town is, Karratha is best in the months between April and October, when the weather averages the mid to late 20s.
· The other half of the year can be extremely hot, and generally not recommended if you’re going there on holiday. Max temperatures can hit 38°C.
Best time to book
· This small, regional destination is best booked pretty far in advance so you are able to get seats, connecting flights, and the best prices. Look around three or four months before your holiday dates.
Expect to pay
· Australian Dollar (AUD).
· A cup of coffee, such as a cappuccino will be around $5.75 in Karratha.
Arriving in Karratha by plane
· Karratha Airport (KTA) is the town’s main transport facility, and operates flights by Airnorth, Qantas and Virgin Australia.
· KTA is 14 km away from downtown Karratha, and has ATMs, eateries and a newsagents that passengers can access.
· Regular and direct flights run from Perth (PER), Darwin (DRW) and Port Headland (PHE) to Karratha.
· You may need a visa if you are travelling to Australia and are not a national citizen of the country. Check out this guide here, which will list the information you need to get started on your Australian visa if you are required to apply for one.
Transportation to city centre
· Though the airport isn’t far from the town, taxis can be very expensive, with average costs coming to about $45. There are buses you can arrange transport with, or you can organise an airport transfer in advance through us.
· Many opt instead to hire a car, which you can do at KTA, but it is advised that you hire a vehicle in advance to ensure you secure one for the duration of your stay.
Where to stay in Karratha
· Karratha isn’t a big town, and the hotels are scattered across it, so the best way to book is to look for the type of accommodation you want, such as mid-range hotels, bed and breakfasts, hostels and luxury resort hotels.
Useful tips before you go
· Make sure you get advice on the local gas stations and rest stops before you drive outside of the township, as the roads can be less developed in the Outback than you may be used to.
· If you are going to take advantage of Karratha’s coastal position, make sure you swim between the flags, which denote safety areas for swimmers.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of May 2016
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Karratha
Frequently asked questions
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.