What can I do in New York?
The city that never sleeps does not disappoint! Enjoy famous activities like admiring the view from the Empire State Building, skating at Rockafeller Centre, climbing the steps in the Statue of Liberty, and taking a picture under the flashing lights of Times Square.
Visit the Guggenheim Museum, the Museum of Modern Art, and the mighty American Museum of Natural History to learn more about New York. Shoppers can engage in some serious retail therapy down 5th Avenue, or in the boutiques of Brooklyn. Then spend an evening starstruck at a show on Broadway.
Enjoy a true taste of the Big Apple with some city-staples too, eat a hot dog, spend some time on Coney Island, watch a baseball game at Yankee Stadium, or spend the afternoon strolling through Central Park.
What airlines fly to New York?
- United, Delta, American Airlines, Virgin Australia, Korean Air, Qantas, Air Canada, Etihad, Cathay Pacific, Air Berlin, Emirates, and China Southern fly connecting routes to New York.
When is the best time to book?
- 28 weeks before you fly is the best time to book for a long haul flight. Check out our advice page on how to save money if you have to book last minute.
- Track the price of your plane tickets to New York by signing up to Skyscanner Price Alerts.
- Looking for last minute flights? Learn how to find last minute deals for your trip to New York.
What are the visa requirements for New York?
- Australian passport holders are eligible for the visa waiver program under the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA), and you must apply for this to enter the country. Please visit the Smart Traveller website for more information.
How long is the flight?
- The overall journey, including layovers, is typically 20-25 hours depending on which major city you fly from.
When is the best time to visit New York?
- All seasons in New York are busy, but summertime (June-August) and the festive season (December-January) are the most expensive. Expect hot summers of 20-29°C, snowy winters of -3-3°C, and shoulder seasons that vary between 5 and 25°C.
What are the average costs in New York?
- The currency is in United States Dollars (USD)
- The average cost of a regular cappuccino in New York for 4.20USD ($5.30).
What is the likely arrival airport?
- The John F. Kennedy International Airport, the Newark Liberty International Airport, and the LaGuardia Airport all receive flights from Australia. All airports provide travellers with free WiFi, currency exchange services, information desks, cash machines, and shopping and dining options.
How to get from the airports to central New York?
- All airports have comprehensive public transportation links, primarily via trains, shuttles, and buses.
- A taxi from LaGuardia Airport costs 25-40USD ($33-54) and takes 40 minutes.
- A taxi from John F Kennedy International Airport costs 52USD ($70) and takes 1 hour.
- A taxi from Newark Liberty International Airport costs upwards of 50USD ($73) and takes about 30 minutes.
Any useful tips?
- Tipping in New York City is 15-20% on average for waiters in restaurants and for taxi drivers. And 1-2USD for doormen, bellhops, and bartenders (per drink).
- Read our guide on things you should know before visiting New York.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of July 2019
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near New York
Frequently asked questions
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.