What can I do in Male?
Start in the city’s Sultan Park, situated right by the Republican Monument, and then visit the nearby National Museum and National Gallery. Be sure to also make time for the Friday Mosque, a 17th century mosque. If you really want to get into the swing of the city though, heading to bustling marketplaces that sell fish and local fresh produce.
Of course, if it is the paradisiacal beaches that this nation is famous for, Male makes a perfect jumping off point, with many honeymooners picking it as their top destination. Read about why on our Honeymooner’s Guide to the Maldives.
What airlines fly to Male?
- AirAsia, KLM, Emirates, Cathay Pacific, Korean Air, and Singapore Airlines offer connecting flights to Male from Australia.
When is the best time to book?
- Booking your flights as soon as possible is the best way to ensure savings, and we advise that you start looking roughly 6 months ahead of your planned travel dates.
What are the visa requirements?
- Australians can receive a 30 day visa on arrival, but there are requirements you need to fulfill for entry to be granted. Please go to the Smart Traveller website and their page on the Maldives for further details.
How long is the flight to Male?
- Adelaide to Male – 17 hours
- Brisbane to Male – 14 hours
- Melbourne to Male – 14.5 hours
- Perth to Male – 11 hours
- Sydney to Male – 14 hours
When is the best time to visit Male?
- The best time to go to the Maldives is between December and April, as this is during the drier season, and sees very little rainfall. Expect the days to average 27°C.
What are the average costs in Male?
- A cappuccino in Male costs approximately 40MVR ($3.40).
- The currency is in Maldivian Rufiyaa (MVR).
What airport will I arrive at?
- The Male International Airport, also known as the Velana International Airport, is the principal hub for the Maldives, and all international flights to this country will be directed here. Facilities include an internet kiosk, banking services, a duty-free shopping area, and dining outlets.
How to get from the airport to town?
- Male Airport is a 10 minute ferry ride from the capital city, and these typically cost around 35MVR ($3). For connections to the outer atolls, there are sea plane services, as well as domestic flights from the airport.
Any useful tips?
- Be aware that not all accommodation will offer free WiFi, and this can be very pricey, so double check this before you book.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of November 2017
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Velana International
Frequently asked questions
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.