What can I do in Bora Bora?
In a word? Relax.
Bora Bora sits in a jeweled lagoon, and the forested hills rising from its heart are fringed by perfect white sands, which are further ringed by a rainbow reef. With all this jaw-dropping beauty, it is hard to imagine a place more suited to the words: "island getaway".
Sunbathe on Matira Beach all day and work on your tan, or pop on your snorkelling mask and discover the colourful clownfish, the red snapper or jackfish that populate the reef. Alternatively, take to the deeper waters, and go on a diving trip for a chance at spotting the giant manta ray, the mysterious hammerhead shark, or the gentle sea turtle. Or stay above water and take a boat out for a spot of whale watching.
In the evening wander Vaitape, the town on Bora Bora famed for fine dining, luxury shopping, and its excellent natural aquarium.
What airlines fly to Bora Bora?
- Air Tahiti is the only airline offering direct routes to Bora Bora, and this is via Papeete. Connecting flights are operated by Air New Zealand, Qantas, LATAM, and Air Tahiti Nui.
When is the best time to book?
- The earlier you book, the better, but generally 20 weeks in advance is usually the recommended time to reserve your flights. However, Skyscanner can help you book last minute flights if you have decided to go only recently.
What visa requirements are there?
- Australian citizens do not need a visa for holidays to Bora Bora of up to 3 months. For up to date information, please visit the Bora Bora Island Guide, or the Smart Traveller travel advice page on French Polynesia.
How long is the flight?
- Because layovers are required to this destination, the journey can take up to 19 hours.
When is the best time to visit Bora Bora?
- June to October is when the days are between 25-27°C, and the weather is predominately dry.
What are the average costs in Bora Bora?
- Buying a cappuccino in Tahiti averages 375XPF ($4.75).
- The currency is in CFP Franc (XPF)
What is the likely arrival airport?
- The only aviation hub for this island is the Bora Bora Airport. This single terminal airport has scant facilities, so be sure to access ATMs, and foreign exchange services in Papeete, or Vaitape.
How to get from the airports to Bora Bora?
- There are boat transfers to the island, and these should be included with your flight price. The hotels on the island also run their own pick-up services.
Any useful tips?
- Scooter hire is available for those that want to explore the island, and are usually cheaper and more convenient than hiring a car.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of June 2019
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Bora Bora
Frequently asked questions
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.