What can I do in Rome?
The list of things to do in Rome is staggering, as there are monuments from every important era in Western history. See the ancient Colosseum, where Romans would watch gladiators perform or visit the Roman Forum and the brilliantly preserved Pantheon. Then leap forward in time by visiting the Trevi Fountain.
Make sure you spend a day in Vatican City. The independent state of the Roman Catholic Church houses some of the most spectacular architecture and artwork in the city, like in the Sistine Chapel. See the best of this city by checking out our guide on how to tour Rome.
What airlines fly to Rome?
- Airlines flying to Rome from Australia are typically international carriers like Emirates, British Airways, Singapore Airlines, Alitalia, Qantas and Etihad Airways.
When is the best time to book?
- Flights to Rome are cheaper if you book between 21-25 weeks in advance.
What are the visa requirements?
- Australian nationals can enter Italy for up to 90 days at a time without a visa. See the Smart Traveller information page on Italy for more details.
How long is the flight to Rome?
- Adelaide to Rome – 23-24 hours
- Brisbane to Rome – 24-25 hours
- Melbourne to Rome – 23-24 hours
- Perth to Rome – 19-20 hours
- Sydney to Rome – 23-24 hours
When is the best time to visit Rome?
- Visit in the shoulder seasons, when the days are between 15-21°C, and the crowds and accommodation prices aren’t as high as in summer.
What are the average costs in Rome?
- A cappuccino in Rome costs approximately 1.25EUR ($1.90).
- The currency is in Euro (EUR).
What airport will I arrive at?
- There are 2 majors airport in Rome, these are the Ciampino Airport, and the Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport, but typically flights from Australia are directed to the larger Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport. These airports both have WiFi access, dining and shopping outlets, currency exchange services, and ATMs.
How to get from the airport to town?
- A taxi from Ciampino Airport into central Rome will typically cost 30-60EUR ($45-92).
- A taxi fare from Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport into town will come to about 50-55EUR ($77-85).
- Both airports have good public transportation links via rail or bus services.
Any useful tips?
- Check the attractions online, as many offer tickets ahead of time, which can cut down waiting times drastically on the day.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of October 2017
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Rome
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.