Cheap Flights to Lithuania
Flights to Lithuania
Deep in Eastern Europe, the small nation of Lithuania has kept hold of its unique identity despite the larger kingdoms that surround it. Travellers coming to this part of the world will be enchanted by its distinct Baroque cities, its evocative religious sites, magical castles, and stunning landscape. Learn about the cuisine, the history, and the people by booking a trip to this great country.
Things to do in Lithuania
Lithuania does not have the kind of presence on the world stage as its nearby Eastern bedfellow—Russia—does, but this historic nation is replete with attractions, and discovering them will mean delving first into its cities. See Vilnius, celebrated for its gorgeous Old Town, its Baroque churches, and its rising Gediminas’ Tower, a castle overlooking the city from a hilltop. Then there is the coastal city of Klaipeda, one of the largest cities in the country, with its own delightful Old Town, but its singular access to the lovely beaches on either side of it.
Then plan to see the truly magical parts of the country, where the turrets of medieval castles fly flags across the idyllic countryside. Like the Medininkai Castle near Vilnius, a 13th century fortification with four imposing towers. Or see the picture-perfect 14th century Trakai Island Castle, a red fort that seems to float on the water. This site also doubles as a museum, so you can learn about its construction and its purpose. Or see the celebrated Hill of Crosses, a exceptional site where millions of Christian pilgrims have planted crosses over a century.
And then there are the national parks, where you can get to grips with the stunning scenery of this nation. Of note are the Curonian Spit National Park that runs along a narrow peninsula next to the Baltic Sea. And the forested Dzukija National Park, where you can don a cloak and go berry picking, or pop on a life vest and kayak down its rivers and streams.
Best time to visit Lithuania
· Late spring into the summer and the first month or so of autumn are ideal to visit this beautiful country. From May into October you will snatch the warmest days, and the driest weather, when the days fall between 10 and 23°C.
· For winter wonderland-style trips, December through to February is when you are likely to see snow, just be aware the mercury can drop dramatically, to -4°C.
Flights to Lithuania
· The primary hub for Lithuania is the Vilnius International Airport (VNO) in Lithuania’s capital. There is a smaller international airport that flies intercontinental routes, and this is the Kaunas Airport (KUN).
· Any flights to Europe from Australia are usually subject to multiple layovers, and to Vilnius from the major cities in Oz, you are looking at least two. Expect these to be in large flight hubs like Singapore (SIN), Hong Kong (HKG), or Dubai (DXB), with a secondary stop in cities like Helsinki (HEL), or Copenhagen (CPH).
· Fly to Lithuania with a number of reliable carriers, including Qantas, Finnair, Turkish Airlines, SAS, Lufthansa, Singapore Airlines, KLM, Air China, LOT, British Airways, and Etihad.
· Euro (EUR).
· Lithuania does not require Australian travellers to apply for a visa when travelling through. You should be granted a stay of up to three months upon entry. For further reading and information, go to the Smart Traveller’s Lithuania travel page.
Please note that information is correct as of December 2016
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.