What can I do in Athens?
Visit the National Archaeology Museum first, which will provide excellent background knowledge for when you visit the Acropolis. Wander through ancient citadel and see the iconic Parthenon. Then head to the ruins of Agora, once a bustling marketplace, and duck into Hadrian’s Library, founded in 132 BCE.
Spend some time in the historical quarter known as Plaka, a neighbourhood filled with shops, restaurants, bars and cafes. If you’re looking for more things to do in this city, read our guide, Athens and Beyond.
What airlines fly to Athens?
- Airlines that usually offer flights to Athens from Australia include Etihad Airways, Qantas, British Airways, Air China, Qatar Airways, and Emirates.
When is the best time to book?
- Book your flights to Athens 25 weeks in advance to save the most money, but if you don’t have that much advance notice, read our guide on how to look for last minute flight deals.
What are the visa requirements?
- Australians do not need a visa for Greece, and can stay in the country for up to 90 days. Check conditions and requirements of entry on the Smart Traveller advice page on Greece.
How long is the flight to Athens?
- Adelaide to Athens – 25 hours
- Brisbane to Athens – 22 hours
- Melbourne to Athens – 22 hours
- Perth to Athens – 19 hours
- Sydney to Athens – 22 hours
When is the best time to visit Athens?
- Spring and summers are a great time to visit this city, with the cooler season hovering between 12-20°C and the hotter season sitting at 25-30°
What are the average costs in Athens?
- A cappuccino in Athens costs approximately 3EUR ($4.50).
- The currency is in Euro (EUR).
What airport will I arrive at?
- The Athens International Airport is the principal airport for all international travel to Greece. This airport provides all the standard amenities, such as ATMs, free WiFi, currency exchange, duty-free shopping, dining outlets, and premier lounges.
How to get from the airport to town?
- A taxi from Athens International Airport into the CBD costs 38EUR ($58) during the day, and 54EUR ($83) at night.
- Other transportation options include the metro, rail, bus, and shuttle services.
Any useful tips?
- Tipping is not expected in Athens, but always appreciated. Keep in mind that most restaurants will add a 15% service charge anyway, so double check your bill if you are planning to tip.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of November 2017
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Athens International
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.