Cheap Flights to Newcastle
Newcastle Airport (NCL)
Newcastle Airport is one the UK’s major airports, and as such is very well equipped to deal with transiting passengers. In the terminal buildings there are shops, restaurants, snack bars, newsagents, an arcade, ATMs, foreign exchange counters as well as access to 45 minutes of free WiFi.
Newcastle Airport is only 10km from the city centre, or about 15 minutes travel time via car. The city is very accessible, by train, bus or taxi, with the latter costing about 20-30GBP ($35-52).
There are many carries that fly to Newcastle, such as Singapore Airlines, British Airways, Air France, Emirates, KLM, Qantas and Qatar Airways.
Why visit Newcastle?
The northern city of Newcastle is one of England’s finest. Draped in Victorian architecture, and rising up along the banks of the Tyne, this city embraces its gritty industrial past, and hefty history, but has leapt forward in time to become a truly chic and contemporary European metropolis. With its large student population and young professionals seeking out fortune in the Jewel of the North, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne has been reinvented with a trendy bar scene, excellent eateries, a hopping nightlife, and a range of museums, galleries, libraries and theatres that will keep any guest entertained.
Things to do in Newcastle
Head to Quayside, where you can see the iconic Tyne and High Level bridges that have given Newcastle its distinct look, but also where you can explore the historic buildings of the city. See the Merchant’s Court and Guildhall in Sandhill, and be sure to make time for Bessie Surtees House, considered to be fine examples of the merchant’s houses from the Jacobean era. Nearby, there is also the Victoria Tunnel, an underground passage that runs between Town Moor to the Tyne, and used to transport coal in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Of course, for anyone interested in architectural or archeological sites in Newcastle, one of the best places to head is the Castle Keep, once the gateway of the city, this medieval fortress has everything from a king’s chamber to eerie dungeons, and makes for a great day out.
This city is also brilliant for museums and galleries, some of which are can’t-miss attractions. Visit the Discovery Museum that really delves into Newcastle’s industrial history, which huge ships and machinery on display. Or see the Great North Museum, which has a higgledy piggeldy collection of artefacts from ancient Egypt and Rome. For art lovers, it is the Laing Art Gallery that is the most impressive, with a huge collection of British oil paintings, along with works in glassware and ceramics.
Outside of the cultural attractions, visitors can head down to the beautiful Armstrong Park, one of the city’s loveliest for a daytime wander, or enjoy the restaurants of Stowell Street, or the huge shopping complex in Eldon Square.
Best time to visit Newcastle
· Summer is the most popular time to visit this city, and with good reason. The weather is at its warmest in the months of June through to August, averaging 17-20°C, and the days are at their longest, meaning plenty of time to pack in all your sightseeing.
· Spring and autumn are much cooler, and more prone to rain, but still mild and they can throw up some great sunny days. Expect temperatures between 9-15°C.
· Winter can be cold here, especially If you aren’t used to it, with the mercury generally hovering around 6°C.
Arriving in Newcastle by plane
· For a long-haul journey such as this, you will fly via one or two transport hubs. These are usually Dubai (DXB), Singapore (SIN) and London Heathrow (LHR).
· British Pound (GBP).
· If you hold an Australian passport, you do not need to apply for a visa to travel to the UK if you intend to stay 6 months or less. There are some restrictions to this rule, and it is worth checking with the foreign affairs advice website for further information.
Please note that information is correct as of June 2016
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Newcastle
Frequently asked questions
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.