Cheap Flights to North Macedonia
Flights to North Macedonia
Macedonia will command your attention in the way its most famous son, Alexander the Great commanded the world. It is a place that has imbibed the varying influence of the countries and empires that have surrounded it, from the Greeks and Romans, right through to the greater Balkan community. The cities are full of vim, and historically hefty, and the landscape will inspire you with its lakes, mountains, gorges, seaside cliffs, and beaches.
Things to do in the Republic of Macedonia
Skopje is Macedonia’s capital, and an important cultural hub for the country. Staying here will give you a chance to investigate its many attractions, from its wonderful Old Bazaar, to its Central Square, and 6th century Fortress that dominates the city’s skyline.
Bitola is also worth seeing, especially for its obvious Ottoman influence seen in the mosques that litter the city. You should also make time for the lovely Deboj Turkish Baths, and the Isak Beg Mosque. Just outside the city you will find the ancient ruins and mosaics of Heraclea Lyncestis, said to have been built by the father of Alexander the Great.
Then visit the UNESCO listed Ohrid, a beautiful town set by a deep lake of the same name, and home to an ancient amphitheatre, medieval churches, and the Tsar Samuil’s Fortress. Nearby, you will find Sveti Naum, a monastery positioned on a cliff and adorned inside with frescoes that have withstood 400-500 years of passing time.
But you cannot spend all your days in the towns and cities of Macedonia, primarily because its landscape is so incredible. Visit the the Pelister National Park, which offers loads of hiking trails, and scenic spots to take advantage of, a perfect place to bring a picnic and while away a few afternoon hours.
Best time to visit the Republic of Macedonia
· If you’re partial to warm and sunny weather, with highs of up to 30°C, then the months of June, July and August are for you.
· However, if those temperatures seem a little too stifling for sightseeing, or hiking, than try the shoulder seasons, which sink to cooler temperatures of 13-22°C.
Flights to the Republic of Macedonia
· You’ll find that the most comprehensive aviation facility in the country is the Skopje “Alexander the Great” Airport (SKP) in the nation’s capital.
· Travelling from Australia to the Republic of Macedonia will mean a layover in two cities usually. Often in places like Dubai (DXB), Singapore (SIN), and Istanbul (IST).
· Turkish Airlines, Austrian Airlines, Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Air Serbia, Malaysia Airlines, British Airways, Emirates and many others fly to the Republic of Macedonia.
· Macedonian Denar (MKD).
· You do not need a visa to travel through the Republic of Macedonia provided that you are intending to stay less than 90 days and hold an Australian passport. For more information on travel to this country, please see the Smart Traveller information page on Macedonia.
Please note that information is correct as of December 2016
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.