What can I do in Amsterdam?
The elegant city of Amsterdam has a timeless feel to it thanks to its combination of urban edge with venerable architecture and sophisticated culture.
Tour the excellent museums and galleries, like the Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh Museum, and the moving Anne Frank Museum, set in the rooms where the Frank family hid in the years before they were captured.
Keen cultural buffs will also love the Royal Palace, the Old Church, and the delightful Zeedjijk, one of Amsterdam’s most picturesque streets. Or try something totally different and go to the Heineken Experience, a brewery tour where you can enjoy the Netherland’s most famous export.
What airlines fly to Amsterdam?
- KLM, Malaysia Airlines, China Southern, Air France, Etihad Airways, Lufthansa, Qantas, Garuda Indonesia, Cathay Pacific, and Emirates operate routes between Amsterdam and Australia.
When is the best time to book?
- Early booking will save you money, so book roughly 15 weeks ahead of time for the best flight prices. We can also help you secure lower fares with our last-minute flights guide.
What are the visa requirements for Amsterdam?
- Australian nationals are granted a 90-day leave of stay upon entry to the Netherlands. Please see the Smart Traveller website for updates in case conditions change.
How long is the flight?
- Including layovers, this journey can take 19 hours from the western coast, or 24 if you depart from the eastern coast.
When is the best time to visit Amsterdam?
- June-September is the peak season. The temperatures are at their highest, typically 20-21°C.
- It is cheaper to visit in the winter, but the days are a chilly 0-1°C.
What are the average costs in Amsterdam?
- The currency is in Euros (EUR)
- A cappuccino in Amsterdam typically costs for 2.75EUR ($4.00).
What is the likely arrival airport?
- The Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is the primary airport for Amsterdam and all flights are directed here. There is access to ATMs, currency exchange services, banks, restaurants, shops, lounges, and a pharmacy, and free WiFi at this airport.
How to get from the airports to central Amsterdam?
- Rail, bus, and shuttle links are all available from this airport into the city.
- A taxi from Amsterdam Airport Schiphol costs 40EUR ($61) approx, and takes 15 minutes.
Any useful tips?
- Tipping is not required in Amsterdam, and there is usually a service charge added onto the bill.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of July 2017
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Amsterdam
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.