When travel isn’t possible, you can still experience the best a country has to offer through its cuisine. Skyscanner has collaborated with chefs, restaurants, brands and passionate home cooks from around the world to bring you a series of recipes you can make from your very own kitchen.
Doyeon Hong, Content Creator (Food and Cooking), South Korea
I’m a newlywed in Korea who loves to cook home cooked-style Korean meals. My husband and I have been ‘travelling’ around different cities and countries through cooking different dishes at home. Bibimbap is a Korean dish that can be easily made with the basic ingredients found in your refrigerator. I put Gomchi greens from Gangwon-do on this Bibimbap. I hope you will be inspired to ‘travel’ to Korea with this dish!
- 2 bowls of cooked rice
- 1 can of tuna
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 cucumber
- Gomchi greens (can be substituted with sesame leaves)
- 2 eggs
- Sesame oil
Ingredients for bibimbob sauce
- 2 tablespoons of gochujang
- 3 tablespoons of vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of sesame
- Chop carrots, onions and cucumbers finely, and dip the onions in cold water to remove the spiciness.
- Tear lettuce and Gomchi greens (or sesame leaves) to a size that is easy to eat.
- Fry an egg on the pan. Sunny side up is recommended, but you can prepare according to your preference.
- Remove the oil from the tuna can (it tastes cleaner with less oil from tuna)
- Put the 2 bowls of cooked rice in a large bowl first.
- Put the prepared ingredients on the rice neatly and add sesame oil accordingly to your taste. If you prefer a more savoury flavour, add more sesame oil.