Excuses are the difference between wishing and doing. Here we show you how to bust them one by one so you can tick off all your travel goals for this year.
Ok, so we all know that resolutions are notoriously hard to stick to. In fact, research shows that 80% of us will fail by the second week of February. But that’s not because you’re running low on willpower – it’s because they’re mostly made on the spur of the moment and tend to be negative, about restriction.
Instead, we believe writing a list of positive travel goals is the healthiest resolution you can make this year. Heck, we’ve talked to psychologists about it and everything. We’ve even given you ideas about where to go. And now we’re going to help you actually stick to your goals.
But, the thing is, we all make excuses for why we can’t do stuff. Even the things that are good for us – and they become the barrier between wishing and doing. So, we’re going to take your excuses, one by one, and shoot them down.
Excuse 1: “I don’t have enough money.”
Does your wishlist take you about 10 different countries, all over the world? Or got your heart set on the Maldives, but barely cash to get to Melbourne?
We’ve got good news. Whatever your travel wishes, with just a few savvy moves, they might just come true.
Here are a couple of sneaky ways to get your golden ticket (or tickets) for less.
- Get a job in your dream destination that covers the big expenses. Au pair is the classic — flight, food and accommodation all paid for. Hostel staff, cruise ship workers and yachties also get a free room with the role. House-sitting is a savvy option, too, and there are plenty of house-sitting websites that’ll match you to a house.
- There’s a cheeky little Skyscanner tool, the Price Alert, that helps you track price changes to your travel crush in real-time — so when that dream flight drops to an affordable price, you’ll be the first to know.
Here’s how it works:
On the website: First, head to our homepage and search for the flight you’re interested in. (Where from, to, and which dates.) In the top left of the results page, you’ll see a button with a bell on it, which says ‘Get Price Alerts’. Hit this and — hey presto — you’re done. We’ll email you with updates about price changes as soon as we get them.
In the app: Got our app? Great. Open it up and tap the plane icon to search your flight. See the results? You’ll also see a grey button with a bell icon at the bottom left of your screen. Give it a tap. Et voilà, we’ll text when the price changes, right away.
You can also turn off Price Alerts any time – we’re not here to pester you!
Excuse 1, consider yourself shot down.
Excuse 2: “I can’t find the right time to go.”
Seriously? All it takes is a bit of research. Well, actually, scrap that. We invented Skyscanner so you wouldn’t have to do any research. Here are a couple of other features that we’ve added to make it even easier to choose the best dates for you:
- Our ‘Cheapest Month’ function lets you see which time of year is cheapest for travelling to a specific destination. You can do this on our website (here’s how), and in the app’s ‘Calendar’ and ‘Chart’ views.
- But, hey, maybe you’re only semi-flexible, and need to travel in a particular month. Well, we’ve got you covered there too. Our ‘Whole Month’ option means you can search for that dream destination in, say, December only — but see exactly when in December is the cheapest time to go. More on that here.
A few other ideas for how to find that travel sweet spot:
- Signing up for different airlines’ newsletters is a smart move — they’ll let you know about last-minute flight sales, which happen as and when the airline needs to fill up a route.
- Some package holiday companies sell off last-minute trips at huge discounts when their customers cancel. (The same is true for hotel rooms.) It’s worth calling and asking if they have any deals. Haggle hard and, if they really need to sell something off, it’ll be a steal.
Another casualty here – its name is Excuse 2.
Excuse 3: “I can’t decide where to go.”
So many choices, you don’t know where to begin? We feel you. That’s why we made our ‘Everywhere’ tool. It adds a little spicy spontaneity to travel.
- When searching flights on Skyscanner, don’t pick an exact destination. Select ‘Everywhere’ instead. We’ll show you the cheapest flights we can find from your preferred airport, on your specified dates, to places all over the world. You’ll be surprised by where you can go for less.
- You can also throw the metaphorical ‘Everywhere’ dart at the map using our app. Just open it up and click ‘Flights’. Add in your origin airport and the dates you want to travel — or select the whole month if you’re really flexible. Then, type ‘Everywhere’ into the destination box. Next, click the blue ‘Start Exploring’ button to see where you can go for the cheapest price.
But that’s not all. It’s time to talk about ‘Explore’.
- In our app, click the ‘Explore’ button at the bottom of the screen. We’ll do two things:
- Recommend top deals to places all over the world, so you can bag whatever bargains are kicking around at that time.
- We’ll also let you know the best weekend bargains for a last-minute getaway. Because, who knows, you might find your new favourite destination is just a short flight away. And short trips totally count.
You’re outta here, Excuse 3!
So, there you have it. There’s no reason for your travel daydreams to stay in your head this year. Make 2019 the year you turn them into a reality. Because, unlike that punishing diet or impossible exercise routine, your New Year travel goals are goals worth sticking to.