Cheap Flights to Port Vila, Vanuatu
Why visit Port Vila?
The largest city in Vanuatu, and its capital Port Vila sits within Vila Bay, punctuated by pretty beaches and languorous lagoons. This island-town has much to recommend it, with a bustling heart, and a friendly vibe, you will find that Port Vila has lots of traditional eateries, quaint cafes, chic bars, and colourful marketplaces, all of which will keep you busy. But it is its convenient location, and easy access to some of the archipelago’s most spectacular scenery that makes Port Vila a necessary stop in any visitor’s Vanuatu adventure.
Things to do in Port Vila
An easy 15 minute drive away from the city is the Mele Cascades, where crystal clear pools steppe down a hillside and culminate in a glorious waterfall. A favoured swimming spot, and a taste of how naturally beautiful this island nation is, the Mele Cascades are a brilliant way to start your tour of the Efate, the main island.
For those looking for the underwater attractions, there is a marine reserve at Hideaway Island, both a resort and a sanctuary, avid divers will be astounded by the technicolour seascape that is made up of reefs and the rainbow-coloured marine life that calls the waters around Hideaway Island home.
For a purely cultural experience, visit the Ekasup Village, where the Futuna islanders show visitors traditional customs, dress and activities of this Kastom village. Then, back in town stroll the Port Vila marketplaces, a great way to get to grips with the cuisine on the island, and pick up some delicious fresh produce. Lastly, book into a sightseeing tour of Efate, or of the nearby islands, such as Lelepa.
Best time to visit Port Vila
· May through to October are the driest months on the island, and remain pleasant. Expect average temperatures to be between 18-28°C.
· November through to April are months usually best to avoided, as this is the hot, wet season and the islands are subject to cyclones.
Best time to book
· Rule of thumb when booking from Australia is to try to fly in November (the cheapest month) or book about 17 weeks in advance for the best deals.
Expect to pay
· Vanuatu Vatu (VUV).
· Expect to pick up a cup of coffee for around 300VUV ($3.70).
Arriving in Port Vila by plane
· Bauerfield International Airport (VLI) is the airport that services Port Vila, and welcomes international carriers like Virgin Australia, Fiji Airways, Air Niugini, Air Vanuatu and Solomon Airlines.
· VLI is about 6km from the town centre, and passengers can access an ATM and WiFi in certain areas of the airport.
· Flights leave from both Brisbane (BNE) and Sydney (SYD) direct to Port Vila.
· Australian travellers are advised to contact their nearest Consulate or Embassy of Vanuatu for the latest information, but generally you will find that if you hold an Australian passport you will be issued a visitor stay of up to 30 days (provided there is at least 6 months validity left on your passport).
Transportation to city centre
· Taxis can cost from 1000-2000VUV ($12-24), if you’d prefer an airport transfer you cannot oragnise this at the airport, and this must be done through your hotel, or in advance online. There are also minibuses, which can ferry into town for about 150VUV ($1.80), but be advised that you can be charged much higher rates if you look a bit lost.
· If you’d like to tour the island in a car, you can arrange for one when you land or use our car hire search tool to book one ahead of your arrival.
Where to stay in Port Vila
· If you decide to stay in the town itself, you will discover that most of the hotels and resorts will line the coast, and especially the little peninsula that juts out from the mainland. If you have a sea view, expect the prices to be higher, and there are lots of luxury options in Port Vila. However, if you’d prefer to keep things simple and inexpensive, look further inland.
Useful tips before you go
· If you plan on island hopping, try and exchange your money before you leave, or in Port Vila where you will get better rates.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of May 2016
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Port Vila
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.