The Berlin-Tegel Airport (TXL) is the larger, and newer international aviation facility serving the exciting city of Berlin. There are four modern terminals and all are reachable on foot. You will find that Terminal A has the most facilities, and welcomes in the most flights. You can find amenities like ATMs, foreign exchange counters, free WiFi, telephones, several eating outlets, and a large shopping area selling both duty-free and high street items. There are also VIP lounges, and business facilities.
This airport is only 8km from the centre of town, with excellent transport connecting the two. Take the S-Bahn railway, the Metro, public buses, or taxis. A taxi fare into town should come to approximately 20EUR ($29).
There are loads of airlines offering flights to Berlin from Australia, some will take you the entire way, but there are a lot of codeshare journeys to choose from also. These are operated by airlines like airberlin, Etihad Airways, Qatar Airways, British Airways, Qantas, Finnair, Emirates, Singapore Airlines, Swiss Air, Air France, Singapore Airlines, and Lufthansa, among others.
Why visit Berlin?
Berlin has been an important part of the German landscape for over 800 years, and the centre of the country’s culture since the 1400s. Germany’s most cosmopolitan city is due to its extraordinary grip on the nation’s art world, cuisine, music scene and nightlife. Beyond these excellent draws is a moving history that charts the rise and fall of dynasties and political parties that have cast Berlin front and centre of global events throughout history. Come to Berlin, Germany’s vibrant and historic capital.
Things to do in Berlin
Berlin is an eclectic mix of the old and the new, but to fully appreciate the contemporary aspects of the city, you should start with its historical side. In particular, make space in your itinerary for Museum Island. This is a mecca for any historian, art lover and amateur anthropologist, as almost all the major galleries and museums are situated here. Highlights include the Old and New Museums, and the Old National Gallery, all of which have enormous and fascinating collections that you can browse through.
Once you’ve toured the island, spend a little time out-of-doors by walking through the city’s lovely Botanic Gardens, or heading for Brandenburg Gate, the most recognisable monument in the city. Then visit the Berlin Wall Memorial and Documentation Centre for an insight into the more recent history of this once divided city.
If you’re flying to Berlin to take advantage of its much-vaunted nightlife, then there’s plenty on offer here. The biggest and most famous clubs tend to situate themselves along the River Spree. If you’re hoping to take advantage of the shopping in this city try spending time on Friedrichstraße, where you can find a ton of upmarket shopping options.
Best time to visit Berlin
· Summers (June-August) in Berlin are beautiful, with highs of 23-24°C, and music festivals and club events galore, this is a great time to see the city.
· Winters are cold, but magical, with the city coming alive with Christmas markets, and festive lights. This is also a fantastic city to see in the New Year, just be prepared for lows of 1-2°C.
· Of the shoulder seasons, autumn (September-November) is the warmer of the two, and swing between 4-14°C, and makes for temperate touring weather.
Arriving in Berlin by plane
· A trip to Berlin will involve one or two stops, usually in large international hubs, with a secondary stop in a European facility. Expect these to cross by Doha (DOH), Dubai (DXB), Frankfurt (FRA), Istanbul (IST), or Zurich (ZRH), as examples.
· Euro (EUR).
· Australians do not need a visa to enter Germany, but you must have a valid passport. For the latest travel restrictions, and information on how long you will be able to stay, please go to the Foreign Affairs Department’s travel page on Germany.
Please note that information is correct as of December 2016
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Berlin Tegel
Frequently asked questions
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.