What can I do in the Whitsunday Islands?
The 74 islands that make up the Whitsundays are full of things to do, from skydiving, golfing, sunbathing and hiking, to wind-surfing, sailing, and snorkelling along the Great Barrier Reef, this is one of Australia’s most popular leisure destinations.
Take a chopper for an aerial view of the aptly named Heart Reef, island hop to Daydream Island, Long Island, or Hayman Island. Hit the bars on Hamilton Island, explore the trails of Long Island, and scuba off the shores of Hook Island. For more ideas of what to do and where to go in the Whitsundays read our guide.
What airlines fly to the Whitsunday Islands?
When is the best time to book?
- Though this is a domestic route, booking 25 weeks in advance can save you quite a bit of money, so book as far ahead as you can.
How long is the flight to the Whitsunday Islands?
- Adelaide to the Whitsunday Islands – 5.5 hours
- Brisbane to the Whitsunday Islands – 1.5 hours
- Melbourne to the Whitsunday Islands – 3 hours
- Perth to the Whitsunday Islands – 7 hours
- Sydney to the Whitsunday Islands – 2.5 hours
When is the best time to visit the Whitsunday Islands?
- The islands have an annual average temperature of 27°C, so you’ll find it’s always a good time to visit this part of Australia. Just be aware that the summer sees more rain than the shoulder seasons and the winter months.
What are the average costs in the Whitsunday Islands?
- A cappuccino in the Whitsunday Islands costs approximately $4.60.
- The currency is in Australian Dollars (AUD).
What airport will I arrive at?
- The Whitsunday Coast Airport, also known as the Proserpine Airport is one of the gateway airports for the Whitsunday region of Queensland. This single terminal facility has a licensed café and free WiFi.
How to get from the airport to town?
- A taxi from Whitsunday Coast Airport to Proserpine via taxi can cost around $40, and one to Airlie Beach can reach $100
- Public buses are the other transportation option into the communities of the Whitsunday region.
Any useful tips?
- If you fancy a tipple while on a boat tour or cruise, it is advised that you bring your own as the licensed bars on board can be very expensive.
- If you’re planning to scuba dive, make sure you visit during the dry season, as this will prevent the water being murky from rain.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of November 2017
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Whitsunday Coast (Proserpine)
Frequently asked questions
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.