This lovely coastal city has a laidback charm that is indicative of the American south, but has enough cultural attractions to keep even the most avid arts fan busy. However, the reason most visit Melbourne is to take advantage of the brilliant outdoor activities on offer; lay on their beaches, snorkel in the azure water, throw out a line on the Indian River Lagoon, or golf along the Space Coast.
Things to do in Melbourne, USA
One of the most famous attractions of Melbourne is the Kennedy Space Center, only a short drive from the town centre. Here you can investigate the launch areas, and feel what it is like to be an astronaut in the Shuttle Launch Experience. There are 60 interactive exhibits, which is more than enough for any person that has dreamed of journeying out among the stars.
If exploring space has never been high on your register, than there are more than enough things back down on earth to satisfy you. With annual events like the Independent Filmmaker’s Festival, Oktoberfest, Aviation Day and the Arts Festival, you will find plenty to keep you occupied. But for a real American experience, head to the Space Coast Stadium and watch the Brevard County Manatees play good old fashioned baseball.
For those wanting to take advantage of the sunshine state’s gorgeous shoreline, then the best place to be is Cocoa Beach, an easy half hour drive from Melbourne, this beach is perfect for families, and keen surfers. There’s also lots of great shopping and dining options if you decide to stay for the day. For the evening though, make your way to Melbourne’s waterfront, and book a table in one of the upmarket restaurants, renowned for their excellent seafood in particular.
If you fancy going further afield and are travelling with children, Orlando is just over an hour’s drive away. Home to some of the most fantastical theme parks in the world, both adults and children will love a day spent at Walt Disney World, Universal Studios and LEGOLAND.
Best time to visit Melbourne, USA
- The best time to head to this part of the world are in the months of April/May and October/November when the weather is warm and pretty dry.
- Peak time in Melbourne is in the summer months of June through to August, but the weather is extremely hot and humid, where you can expect highs of 30-32°C.
- Winters are mild, and can hit the low twenties, even in January.
Best time to book
- For an international flight out to the United States from Australia, it’s best to book around 28 weeks before you want to fly.
Expect to pay
- United States Dollar (USD).
- You can expect a cup of coffee in Melbourne to cost approximately 4USD ($5.25).
Arriving in Melbourne, USA by plane
- Melbourne’s main airport is the Orlando Melbourne International Airport (MLB). There are four major commercial carriers to this transport hub, which are American Airlines, Delta, Porter Airlines and Elite Airways. You can also take smaller aircraft via the charter company Baer Air.
- Located 3km outside of downtown Melbourne, this is a convenient airport to fly into. You can find free WiFi, a restaurant and ATMs at MLB.
- There are no direct flights to MLB from Australia, you will have to transit through international hubs in the USA.
- You will have to organise a visa before travelling to the United States. For Australian nationals, this can be issued online, but for further details, please check the official government website for the most up-to-date information.
Transportation to city centre
- A taxi right into downtown Melbourne will come to about 15USD ($21), including tip.
- There are Space Coast Area Transit (SCAT) buses that will run between the airport and the city, and costs 1.50USD ($2.10).
- You can rent a car in the airport, or organise one through Skyscanner’s car hire tool. Skyscanner can also help you arrange an airport transfer if you’d prefer not to take out a vehicle.
Where to stay in Melbourne, USA
- The most picturesque places to stay in Melbourne are along the oceanfront, for upmarket hotels and sea views.
- For budget friendly options, going a little further inland, or choosing to stay on the Indian River waterfront will save you some cash without sacrificing convenience or comfort.
Useful tips before you go
- There are a fair amount of tolls in Florida, so having a decent cache of change in your car can help facilitate easy travel.
- If you are staying in Melbourne for a while and are bringing your kids, there is an incredible weeklong day camp for kids at the Kennedy Space Center, and is worth enrolling your child for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Melbourne
Frequently asked questions
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.