Come to Manchester, and discover what makes the northeastern coast of the United States so charming. Established in the 1700s, this riverside city has blue-collar roots in industry that in some ways mirror its forebear in the UK. Today, this is a thriving city, with excellent museums, galleries and art showcases, such as the opera and its orchestra that will surprise and delight you.
Things to do in Manchester, USA
One of the biggest attractions in Manchester is without a doubt the Zimmerman House. This fantastic building was designed by the celebrated architect Frank Lloyd Webber, and is the only one of his designs to be set in New England. There is also the wonderful Currier Museum of Art, which exhibits some of Georgia O’Keeffe’s most famous modernist paintings.
For a look into the city’s past, you don’t have to go further than the Millyard Museum, which charts the area’s history from as far back as 11,000 years ago. Follow the journey this city has taken from its indigenous roots, to the colonial settlers and the industrial boom.
Manchester’s downtown is a lively place to spend your time; splash some of your holiday cash in the boutique stores and high street retailers that cluster in this area, and then find some refreshments in one of the many restaurants and cafes that have popped up in this part of town.
Outside of the city, one of the most popular places to head to is Mount Monadnock, the highest peak in the county, and frequented by the likes of Henry David Thoreau and Ralph Waldo Emerson. Hike to the top, and you can take in the spectacular views of the Jaffrey Town Forest. If you’re feeling really adventurous, then travelling a little ways north will take you straight to the Lost River Gorge and the Boulder Caves of the White Mountain National Forest, one of New Hampshire loveliest protected areas.
Best time to visit Manchester, USA
- Summers are pleasant, dry and warm. Expect the temperatures to hover between 25-27°C in the months of June, July and August.
- Though a little colder, the autumn season (September-November) is one of the nicest times to visit New Hampshire, which is renowned for its yellow, orange and red leaves in the fall. Expect highs of 16-20°C and lows of 5-10°C.
Best time to book
- Start looking to reserve flights around 28 weeks before you want to fly.
Expect to pay
- United States Dollar (USD).
- Expect to pay about 3.75 ($5) for a cup of coffee in Manchester.
Arriving in Melbourne, USA by plane
- The Manchester-Boston Regional Airport (MHT) is serviced by American Airlines, United and Delta. There are also some seasonal flights operated by Southwest.
- The airport is situated 5km outside downtown Manchester, and 80km outside of Boston, Mass. Passengers can access free WiFi, ATMs and a few dining options as they transit.
- There are no direct flights to MHT from Australasia, you will have to transit through international hubs in the USA, particularly New York (JFK) and Chicago (ORD).
- Australian citizens can apply for the ESTA—an electronic visa issued online. For further details, please check the official government website for the most up-to-date information, and steps on how to apply.
Transportation to city centre
- The price of a taxi into downtown Manchester will typically cost about 20USD ($27) including a tip.
- The MTA offers a bus service into town on weekdays for 2USD ($2.70) for a single journey.
- There are rental companies in arrivals area of the airport, but to secure a car in advance you can use our handy car hire tool, or arrange an airport transfer through us if you do not want to drive.
Where to stay in Manchester, USA
- The accommodation in Manchester is almost universally moderate, and you can find trusted brands like Hilton and Radisson will have locations in the downtown area, which is great for easy access to the city’s attractions.
Useful tips before you go
- If you decide to visit Manchester in the autumn and want to visit the White Mountains, then keep in mind that this is the most popular time to visit the park and reservations for hotels and restaurants are recommended.
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Manchester
Frequently asked questions
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.