What can I do in Chennai?
Once known as Madras, Chennai is a bustling coastal city; explore its colourful temples, its golden beaches, its thriving restaurant scene, and embrace its cinema. Walk down Marina Beach, the second longest city beach in the world. Then visit the Kapaleeswarar Temple, and the National Art Gallery.
Day and weekend trips include mystical Mahabalipuram and its Pallavas temples, or head to Pudicherry (or Pondicherry), an old French enclave.
What airlines fly to Chennai?
- Airlines that fly to Chennai from Australia are Jet Airways, Scoot, Malaysia Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Airways, Singapore Airlines, and Emirates.
When is the best time to book?
- The best time to book your flights to Chennai are typically 6 months ahead of time. IF you don’t have that kind of notice, we have a last minute booking guide that can still help you find cheap flights.
What are the visa requirements?
- Australian nationals are eligible to apply for an e-Visa to enter India. For information on entry conditions and visa fees, visit the Smart Traveller site, and see their dedicated page on India.
How long is the flight to Chennai?
- Adelaide to Chennai – 17-18 hours
- Brisbane to Chennai – 14-18 hours
- Melbourne to Chennai – 13-16 hours
- Perth to Chennai – 10-18 hours
- Sydney to Chennai – 13-16 hours
When is the best time to visit Chennai?
- Winter is the best time to visit the city (November-February), when the days average between 20-25°C.
What are the average costs in Chennai?
- Buying a cappuccino in Chennai costs 110INR ($2.15).
- The currency is in Indian Rupee (INR).
What airport will I arrive at?
- Chennai International Airport (MAA) is the primary airport for Chennai. This hub has cash machines, medical services, a charging station, restaurants, shops, and currency exchange booths.
How to get from the airport into Chennai?
- A taxi to Chennai central from the airport will cost you 300-1000INR ($3-20).
- There are rail, and bus services if you’d prefer to take public transportation.
Any useful tips?
- Haggling for your taxi fare is pretty normal, just make sure you agree a price before you hop in if your driver is not prepared to put on the meter.
- It is advised that you dress conservatively, especially if you are visiting religious sites.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of September 2017
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Chennai
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.