The bright lights of Las Vegas have held an appeal to onlookers for over 50 years since this town grew from a small backwater into a dazzling oasis of revelry. It is a place of pure leisure, where guests can tee off on expertly maintained golf courses, can lounge by the lavish pools, hike the trails in Red Rock National Park, browse the extensive boutiques and high end designers, dine in Michelin starred restaurants, catch a world-class show, and of course, have a little flutter at the casino tables.
Things to do in Las Vegas, USA
Within the borders of this infamous city lies a whole world of entertainment. You will wake in the morning to almost guaranteed sunshine, and walking along the Strip is your first order of business. It is an avenue where glitz meets glamour and excess meets kitsch. Each casino hotel that runs along this famous street has its own theme, and they’re all worth exploring.
Ride the rollercoasters in New York, New York, or see the city up on high at the top of the stomach-dropping Stratosphere. Have a pastry at Paris Hilton, grab a drink at the boggling Circus Circus, and stroll past the glorious fountains of the Bellagio.
Shopping is a huge part of Las Vegas, and you’ll find that many of the world’s top designers have outlets in the casino hotels, and each is themed for a unique experience. Wander along the waterways of the Grand Canal Shoppes in the Venetian, or shop for treasures under a starry sky at the Forum Shops of Caesars Palace. There is the Fashion Show Mall for dedicated fashionistas, and the outlets outside of downtown for bargain hunters.
When evening falls, you can dine in some of the best restaurants in the country, play a few hands of poker, and then hit the clubs of the MGM, Mandalay Bay and Caesars for an unforgettable night of fun.
If you’re feeling a little nostalgic for the Las Vegas of Elvis Presley and Bugsy Siegel, then make your way to Downtown Vegas, and enjoy the Fremont Experience where you can see the kicking cowboy, Vegas Vic, and shop for antiques on Main Street.
Outside the city, there are plenty of fantastic day trips, from the gorgeous Red Rock National Park, to the architectural feat of the Hoover Dam, and onward to one of the USA’s most glorious natural wonders, the Grand Canyon.
Best time to visit Las Vegas, USA
- Autumn (September-November) and spring (March-May) are the best seasons to visit this city. When highs are about 25-28°C and the lows don’t generally sink lower than 8-9°C.
- Summer is popular, but can be stifling. Expect highs of up to 41°C and lows of 23°C.
- Winters can be very chilly, with the mercury hovering between 4-14°C.
Best time to book
- For the best prices, we advise that you look to book around 28 weeks before your preferred date of departure.
Expect to pay
- United States Dollar (USD).
- A regular cappuccino in Las Vegas costs approximately 4.20USD ($5.50).
Arriving in Las Vegas, USA by plane
- The Las Vegas McCarran Airport (LAS) is the major transportation hub in the city. This airport welcomes many international and domestic carriers, among them are Qantas, United, Virgin Australia, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Air Canada, Korean Air, Southwest, JetBlue and Hawaiian Airlines.
- LAS Airport is conveniently located only 8km from the Las Vegas Strip, and transportation into the centre of the city is a cinch. You’ll find plenty of amenities too, from restaurants and shops, to WiFi and ground services.
- There are no direct flights to Las Vegas from Australia. Expect a layover in the continental United States, usually in Los Angeles (LAS).
- If you are an Australian national, you are eligible for an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization). For more details on how to apply, please go to the official government website, which will provide you with information on the necessary steps you must take.
Transportation to city centre
- Grabbing a taxi to the Strip will cost about 20-25USD ($28-35).
- There are RTC city buses that will take you to the Strip for 3USD ($4.50).
- Many choose to rent a car. There are a couple of ways you can go about this; you can organise one in advance using Skyscanner’s car hire tool, or arrange one on arrival at the airport rental car centre which is located off-site. You can also organise an advance airport transfer with us if you are not planning to drive.
Where to stay in Las Vegas, USA
- The most iconic place to stay in Las Vegas is undoubtedly the Strip where you can stay in lavish resort hotels that will cater to your every need. There are top-of-the-range luxury options, and some bargains to be had, so staying on the Strip should suit every budget.
- If you want to get a feel for a different side of Vegas, stay in the old Downtown area, where kitsch hotels harken back to the 1960s, when Vegas first entered the world stage.
Useful tips before you go
- Bring comfortable shoes! The Strip is over 6km long, and the distances between the hotels are lengthy.
- If you are on the gambling floor, and playing the slots or sitting at the tables, drinks are free. Order any cocktail you wish; just remember to keep some change on you so you can tip your cocktail waitress.
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Las Vegas Mccarran
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.