What can I do in Shanghai?
Marvel at the architecture of the Shanghai’s famed promenade, The Bund, and drink and dine at rooftop bars with excellent skyline views. For temples, duck into the Jade Buddha Temple, or the lovely Longhua Temple and Pagoda.
Then shop until you drop in some of the city’s most chic shopping avenues like Nanjing Road, or elbow your way into the central markets and Old Street to bag yourself a bargain. Read about the trendy neighbourhoods of Shanghai, here.
What airlines fly to Shanghai?
- Airlines that operate nonstop flights to Shanghai from Australia are Air China, Qantas, China Eastern, AirAsia, and Xiamen Air.
When is the best time to book?
- Flights to Shanghai are most affordable if you book 21 weeks in advance.
What are the visa requirements?
- Australians must apply for a visa to enter China. Please visit the Smart Traveller page on China, or go to the Chinese Embassy website.
How long is the flight to Shanghai?
- Adelaide to Shanghai – 12 hours
- Brisbane to Shanghai – 10 hours
- Melbourne to Shanghai – 10.5 hours
- Perth to Shanghai – 11.5 hours
- Sydney to Shanghai – 10.5 hours
When is the best time to visit Shanghai?
- The shoulder seasons are the nicest time to visit Shanghai, when the days average 13-26°C. Summer in Shanghai can reach 35°C, and the winters can be a cool 8°C.
What are the average costs in Shanghai?
- A cappuccino in Shanghai costs approximately 30CNY ($6).
- The currency is in Chinese Yuan Renminbi (CNY).
What airport will I arrive at?
- Shanghai has 2 major airports: Shanghai Pudong International Airport and the Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport. Both offer shops, restaurants, currency exchange, ATMs, lounges, and free WiFi.
How to get from the airport to town?
- A taxi from Shanghai Pudong International Airport into the CBD costs 160CNY ($32).
- A taxi from Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport into the CBD costs approximately 100CNY ($20).
- Both airports offer train, bus, and shuttle links into town.
Any useful tips?
- Translation apps are extremely helpful when you are travelling around China. Read about the most useful ones here.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of November 2017
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Shanghai
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.