What can I do in Christchurch?
Christchurch, the Garden City, is the largest city on the South Island and a great place for inland and coastal exploration. Learn about the area at the Canterbury Museum, punt along the Avon River that passes through the lovely Botanic Gardens, and stop by Quake City, and view the exhibitions on the earthquake that rocked this city in 2011.
From Christchurch it is an easy drive to Arthur’s Pass, a staggeringly beautiful drive through the mountains. Or head to Akaroa instead, a historic town by the sea, and a fantastic place to spot dolphins or penguins, and go for a spot of sailing. Read about the Top 10 Things to do in Christchurch.
What airlines fly to Christchurch?
- Airlines that operate flights to Christchurch from Australia are Air New Zealand, Qantas, Jetstar, Singapore Airlines, Fiji Airlines, China Southern, and Emirates.
When is the best time to book?
- Book your flights to Christchurch roughly 5-6 months in advance for the best deals on routes.
What are the visa requirements?
- Australians do not need a visa for New Zealand. Read more about terms and conditions on the Smart Traveller page for New Zealand.
How long is the flight to Christchurch?
- Adelaide to Christchurch – 6 hours
- Brisbane to Christchurch – 3.5 hours
- Melbourne to Christchurch – 3.5 hours
- Perth to Christchurch – 6 hours
- Sydney to Christchurch – 3 hours
When is the best time to visit Christchurch?
- Christchurch has a mild climate, with summer temperatures averaging 21-23°C, and winter temperatures averaging 11-13°
What are the average costs in Christchurch?
- A cappuccino in Christchurch costs approximately 4.40NZD ($4.20).
- The currency is in New Zealand Dollars (NZD).
What airport will I arrive at?
- The Christchurch International Airport is one of New Zealand’s principal hubs, and the largest airport serving the South Island. Amenities include duty-free shopping, restaurants and cafes, lounges, ATMs, currency exchange, payphones, VIP lounges, and unlimited free WiFi.
How to get from the airport to town?
- A taxi from Christchurch International Airport into the CBD costs 45-65NZD ($43-62).
- You can also take buses and shuttles from the airport into town.
Any useful tips?
- Getting a metro card for public transportation around the city can save you money if you’re staying in the city for more than a few days.
- If you’re intending to hire a car to explore the city’s surrounds, do so well in advance, as prices can go up quite dramatically.
Please note that the information provided above is accurate as of November 2017
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Christchurch
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.